After exploring winery trail ideas listed on visitnc.com, we were intrigued about a few of the wineries on North Carolina’s coast. During a visit to Ocean Isle Beach, NC, we purchased a bottle of Duplin Winery’s Carolina Hatteras Red from a local vendor. Carolina Hatteras Red is Duplin’s #1 selling wine, so we decided that would be a wonderful bottle to experience. After opening the bottle, we were both pleasantly surprised by the distinctive fruit aromatics. On the palate, the wine was sweet with a balanced fruity finish.
What they say: “This traditional southern Muscadine red is consistently one of North Carolina’s best selling wines. Pleasantly sweet and intense with fruit, Duplin Winery’s Hatteras Red brings back memories of stately old southern mansions, warm sunshine, and gracious hospitality.”
We paired our first glasses of Hatteras Red with fun spiced cod tacos. Our second pairing was with a classic spaghetti and meatballs and a light romaine salad. Duplin’s Carolina Hatteras Red enhanced the flavors of both meals, which makes it easy to understand why it is a best-selling wine.
- Food Pairing: NC BBQ, chocolate, dark chocolate
- Great in jams, juices, and syrups
- Serve chilled
- Walk through the largest production facility on the East Coast
- Daily tours begin at 11am
- Tours are offered at the top of every hour
- Wear comfortable shoes—some walking involved
- Questions about the tour call: 1-800-774-9634
- Opened in the 1970s
- Second location opened in North Myrtle Beach, SC in 2015
- Largest winery in the south
- Has a tank capacity of over 1.7 million gallons
- Sells over 450,000 cases of wine annually
We hope to make it to one of Duplin’s two locations during our next visit to the coast in order to get the full experience.
Until our next glass…
Go local. Drink Carolinas. 🍷